Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Potato Salad Recipe

I have a husband who loves potato salad. LOVES it.

However I loathe it. Particularly the standard, heavy-on-the-mayo, throw-in-some-pickles kind. Here and there I've had some good, non-standard varieties, but it is not something I will think of when I am making a menu.

Last week while I was planning out a grilling party with some friends, the hubs specifically asked for potato salad. I think it's been over ten years since I've made it. I don't even have a recipe. I already had two bags of tiny red potatoes that I was planning to roast, so I went to the local market. All they had were the bags of the small Dutch yellow potatoes.

I looked online for a recipe and found this one. I had all the ingredients already so I went with it. However, while I was using quite a bit of potatoes, I didn't increase the dressing recipe. I like things lightly dressed, and am watching my calories. Turns out this was the perfect amount of dressing for double the amount of potatoes. Everyone enjoyed this one, so this recipe is a keeper.

http://bobbiskozykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/09/red-skin-potato-salad.html


Picture of Potato Salad Recipe


2 pounds small red skinned potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
  • 8 pieces of thick cut, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 3/4 cup low fat or fat free mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
  • 6 green onions, chopped in 1/4-inch segments
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
Place potatoes in cold water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and turn down the heat to medium, letting them cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes. In a skillet, cook bacon on medium heat until crispy. Place bacon on a paper towel and discard the grease. Drain the potatoes, but DO NOT rinse them under cold water. Rather let them cool for about 6 to 8 minutes on a sheet pan. In a small bowl combine vinegar, mayonnaise, mustard, green onions, onion, sugar, and salt and pepper. Transfer potatoes to a mixing bowl and sprinkle bacon and hard boiled eggs over them. Then fold mayonnaise mixture into the potatoes and serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment